Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Mam-ma's Chocolate Pie



My sweet mam-ma made the BEST chocolate pie. We used to request it at every holiday dinner or family gathering and it was a fight to see who could eat the most. I have never tried to make it until this weekend. It tasted good but I have a long way to go on being able to make a good meringue. I don't know what the secret it is but I hope one day I can get mine to fluff up like hers always did.

Ingredients:
Pie filling: 
Frozen or refrigerated pie crust
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
3-4 tbsp cocoa
1 1/2 cups milk
4 egg yolks
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp butter

Meringue:
4 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
6-8 large marshmallows

Bake pie crust according to directions. Mix first 3 ingredients. Beat 4 egg yolks and save the whites. Sprinkle salt on eggs. Add milk in eggs. Add to dry and cook on stove top - stir until thick. Add vanilla and butter.
Pour in pie crust when done.

Take egg whites and beat until stiff. Take sugar and a "tad" of water and boil until it makes a syrup. Add marshmallows and melt.  Add to egg whites already beat. Add on top of pie.



1 comment:

  1. I know this is 6 plus month old post, but I was looking for a Chocolate Pie recipe, and this looks delicious!

    To help your meringue "fluff" - 2 things: Add a bit of acid to your egg whites (cream of tartar is most ocmmon for meringue, but lemon juice or vinegar will work as well). Acid helps coagulate your eggs and build those tall foamy peaks. (Thank you Science of Food Class in College).

    Two, don't add your sugar until you get the "fluff" you want. Sugar works to prevent puffs. Fold the sugar in in to the egg whites, not stir. That should help maintain your fluff. :)

    ReplyDelete